Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Still Tuesday

We see gorgeous sunsets out of our windows in this new room.  But, the full sunset is just out of view.  Tonight, however, the sunset was perfectly reflected in the windows of the building behind us.  The pictures do not truly show how beautiful the reflection was but it does give you an idea.  Most of the buildings in these two pictures belong to Washington University School of Medicine.  I can reach those buildings easily by walking along the covered walkways that connect our buildings to the many others in this large complex.

Our day has been full of good news, even though John has been tired from poor sleep last night.  First the good news about his not needing dialysis anymore....which is an answer to a prayer that we started praying over two weeks ago.

The the social worker asked if we might want to go straight home instead of to Rehab or a Skilled Nursing Facility.  Would we?!  I knew what I wanted but thought I should ask John.  He had no hesitation, either.  He wants to go home.  The physical therapist also thought he was right on the border of being ready to go home.

We are NOT holding our breath but we just might be there before the weekend.  With a couple more days recuperation, we should be ready to go.  We still need to ask our doctor but he just might be convincable!

Wednesday morning...

However, several friends (2 of whom are ICU nurses) have advised us that it is definitely too early to go home.  John needs to gain strength.  Right now, at the press of a button, I have help right away.  At night I go away to sleep and the nurses care for him totally.  Their advice is that unless I have 24/7 nursing support at home, it is too soon.  I appreciate their input....I asked them because I trust their judgement.  My friend from grade school, Linda Fuchs, also called and was pretty horrified when she heard we might be headed home.  She went home a week after her knee surgery.  Her family had a hard time providing the level of care she needed.  So, she also cautioned against going home too soon.  Now that I am thinking about it, I can see it might easily be too much.

We will see what today brings!




No comments:

Post a Comment