Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday, February 11
Day 29

When John was doing so poorly after his third surgery, we asked his sister Ruth to come.  She and Esther (pictured at right here with Karissa and Winston) came and stayed a long weekend with me.  I was glad, they were glad, and John was glad that they came all the way from Walla Walla and Oregon to see us.  They are pictured here at the zoo where they went for a long walk on Sabbath afternoon.
This last Sabbath evening, Scott and Beth Haakanson stopped by.  They pastor at Sunnydale.  They are a young family and recently experienced some similar health challenges with Beth being hospitalized for nearly a month, with long months of rehab.  So their visit was a blessing, Scott being able to relate to me and Beth being able to relate to John. 

It was interesting because we had just completed some hot fomentation treatments for John's lung congestion.  Low and behold, Scott and Beth brought some electric moist heat fomentation pads.  We had used my rice bags and they worked good, too.  But it was great that they brought the other kind.  Great minds run in the same channels!  Karissa and I and Winston repeated the treatment that evening and once again on Sunday before they left.

So now it is a sunny Monday.  John's urine output has increased.  That's what the doctors are looking for in order to phase out dialysis...that's something we LONG for!   While in dialysis, John produced 200 cc of urine in the urinal.  Keep praying for improved kidney function!

Yesterday, John's last chest tube was removed.  He still has a wound vac and a jp drain.  These can be disconnected so that when he walks, he is free of encumbering tubes!  When he would walk before in ICU, they had to have a large wheelchair to carry all the paraphenalia required, in addition to pushing along his IV pole with multiple IV lines.  Usually there were three of us assisting him...talk about our entourage!  Gradually, these tubes and IVs have been removed, each one showing his improvement.  So, to be FREE of all this is to be FREE INDEED. 

He walked yesterday with Miriam alone assisting.  She brought along the MerriWalker, a chair enclosed with arm rails and straps so that when tired, the patient can simply sit down.  With three rests along the way, John walked to the waiting room, about 100 feet or so.  Then he rested a while, walking back to his room with just one rest period.  He is definitely getting stronger and I am so glad.  We are hopeful that his feeding tube will come out today.  He's been eating well since Thursday and needs to keep it up to regain what he has lost.  Tube feedings are only at night now.  The renal diet he is on is not much fun, though.  Hope that will go away soon.

I am looking forward to being home before long.  My arms and shoulders are extremely sore and my back was aching me too.  I've stopped trying to help the nurses lift him and so my back is better.  But my arms don't feel good, first from carrying my backpack.  With laptop, book, wallet, water, and other necessities, it just got too heavy and I realized it was starting to be a problem.  Now I bring my roller suitcase.  But even that is hard to lug around all day.  So being home will be a blessing in many ways!

Love to you all and thank you for your love, care, and concern.  Please understand that we have not meant to "spurn" anyone by not wanting visitors.  John has ALWAYS told me that if he is ever in the hospital that I am not to tell ANYONE.  Well, everyone does know!  Many of you have wanted to come.  At first I encouraged people, telling them they could visit with me.  By the end of that first horrendous week, however, I realized that I was not able to keep my focus on John AND see the people coming.  John has seen quite a few people, but since we have had fewer visitors, he really has been able to get the rest he needs.  Soon enough, I think, there will be time for some quality visits.  Thank you for understanding and for your patience.  Only if one has been through a catastrophic medical event can they understand this.  I've talked to many family members here in similar circumstances to ours and there is that understanding that rest is so crucial at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment