Sunday, February 3, 2013

Still Sunday


Angela was amazed at how busy we both were when she was with me for 1 1/2 days!  It was nice having her here because she helped with everything.  She and I did go to church yesterday and that gave us a 3 hour break.  After being here in the room for an hour and a half, we had to go get lunch cause we were starved.  Then we stayed till 7 but because we hadn't rested, we were pooped.  We got back to our room about 8 and were asleep by 8:45!  She could not believe how tired out she was from helping me with my job!

So, I thought I would share what a day is like for us here in Room 7237.  I come in and set up my laptop.  It, along with all my valuables, like John's wallet, my wallet, my camera, and other needed items, are in my orange camel back backpack/purse.  It is HEAVY but it goes everywhere with me since I've been told that things can easily walk away from patients' rooms.  My laptop is my lifeline:  for facebook, for e-mail, and now for my blog, too.  Of course my cell phone figures in here, too.

When we got here today, the Physical Therapist and nurse were just starting to get John up for his walking session.  He was none too cooperative but we did not let him refuse like he did yesterday (when I was not here).  He walked, not briskly this time, to the nursing station, took a rest in the chair that always follows behind, and then on to the waiting room with a view.  They left us there so we could enjoy the view for a few minutes.  Then Angela and I managed to get him back to his room.  He was in the recliner but we also had a wheel chair for his attached apparatus:  chest tube drain box, monitor box.  So wheelchair and recliner must move in sync or there is trouble...!  Used to be that the wheelchair was piled high with stuff, so we have made progress. 

The nurse and tech transferred him to his chair.  We then spend the morning trying to keep him comfortable.   "I'm falling over." "My legs are tired."  "My tail bone hurts."  He requires constant repositioning to keep him upright in the chair and to take pressure of his tailbone.  We no more get to sitting down again but he asks for something else.  Angela took part fully and capably in these maneuvers and took pressure off me.  The longer he sits up the stronger he will get. 

She and I both read the Psalms to him and pray for him, whether he appears to listen or not.  In between caring for John, I write this blog or follow-up fb comments, or write e-mails.  Benita brought me some interesting "yard" that I "gather" with a crochet hook.  It's so delicate and pretty.  I am about half way done with my second scarf and have asked her to bring me some more of that yarn.  Interspersed with that, I read on my book, "World Walk", or talk on the phone,  Last week, I paid bills, checked on credit cards, and made some business arrangements that needed to be made.  I also try to walk every day.  Back and forth to The Lodge is good fresh air for 7 or 8 minutes each but if it's too cold, I can walk the mile long indoor walkways that connect his huge complex of buildings.

Today, I brought the last of the very delicious Chicken Pot Pie with me for lunch.  One of the techs warmed it up in the microwave and I ate it with good green salad.  I'm still craving my favorite comfort food, ice cream...I am sure I'll get some soon.

This afternoon, I walked back through the snow to The Lodge to finish my laundry.  I took a little break, looked at a magazine, and rested.  John is back in bed now and resting pretty quietly.  I'd like to see him take another walk...I am such a slave-driver!

Dean Coridan, John's conference president, and Vic Van Schaik (Central Church pastor) pray for and anoint John on Wednesday, January 16, the day after his initial surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment