Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday, February 22     D Day --  Discharge!
Day 40

Our 40 days here at Barnes Jewish Hospital are coming to an end.  After more than a week of going back and forth about discharge plans between going to rehab or skilled nursing facility or going home, we chose to go home.  John will be able to sleep better and we will have good home-cooked food.  This last week he has strengthened considerably and is well motivated to continue his regimen at home.  We will have some in-home support from home health and physical therapy.

Can't say I don't have any fear and trepidation about it, because it will be mostly on me.  It just seems to be best for John.  I was hoping that Natasha would come home with us for the first day or two and that she would help ease us into this but she has to leave...poo!

So the process will probably go slow today and we know enough not to rush it.  But maybe near dark we will get home. 


Some funny things John said...Juli, my sister recorded these while still in ICU and just sent them a few days...

John

I just love being in the hospital. They're keeping me alive.  Big smile
Now I understand the purpose of all this. Without it they wouldnt be able to save people. Physically that is. 
Jennifer (night nurse):  You are the most honest woman here. 
I love you too jennifer just in a different way. 
She explained to me why i couldnt have ice cream. 
You know what my problem is? Ive been a little too shallow in my ability to recognize love. 
Whoever started the dialysis, give them a kiss for me. 
One night in ICU, John watched a guy coming in and out of the next room and it was bothering him:  we finally told him it was the nurse, so he apologized, saying:  I was misjudging him. I thought he was a garbage guy. 
See i needed this experience so i would be more compassionate. 
I want to thank the people who put me on dialysis. 
I've changed my mind about hospitals - they're as good as church
Thanks for writing it all down, Juli.... 

We are just waiting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment