Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thursday, January 31  



Day 18


THANKSGIVINGS


Response to Gini Dockham’s personal facebook message:
I am definitely being carried. "He will carry You" is one of my favorite songs..."There is no problem so big, God cannot solve it; there is no mountain too tall, He cannot move it; there is no storm so dark, He cannot calm it; there is no sorrow so deep, He cannot soothe it...if He carried the weight of the world upon His shoulders, I know my sister that He will carry You." I've often sung this as a trio, even used it in presentations...and I'm feeling it now...though i write with tears...

It was the very first day this happened that I realized I can't do this alone and I don't have to. So, my very willing friends have been with me all the time, being my caretakers. I've asked for the help I need and received in abundance. Sort of like we always did on Friday nights...foot rubs, back rubs, help with food, wash, and just their presence. Lots of hugs, too, virtual and real! Thanks for yours....

This just started to flow this morning, along with my tears…forgive me if I forgot YOU…!

Natasha and Jeremy and Karissa and Winston have been here much of the time, helping with the care, being present for me…I should list how each has participated fully in this family gathering…but maybe later!

Dom and Marilou Medrano accompanied me to the hospital first in Rolla and then here to St. Louis.  They have also brought my favorite Filipino food, pancit and lumpia!  They have brought me things I needed from home and their kids help take care of our kitty cat, Rosy.

Juli, my sister, arrived on Sabbath, after this started on Monday, and stayed five days, helping with everything from sending messages out, to organizing food delivery, and she was so able to anticipate my needs.  She’s still helping me long-distance, like building my blog.

Gail Coridan arrived just as Juli left and was a very present help in trouble and stuck with me as I trekked back and forth to the hospital from The Lodge where I am staying.

Paula Grell arrived Thursday morning so Gail could go back to her duties.  Paula stayed close, checked on me often, fixed food and then took a night shift when I got sick so that I could sleep.  She shared that night with Benita Alexander who also arrived on Thursday.  Both women are great caregivers and I think John appreciated their presence at his bedside.  Benita stays at our home when she is at school in Rolla and that takes a load off my soldiers to know she is holding the fort there.  Rosy appreciates her, too.

Ruth Scofield and Esther Coyle, John’s sisters arrived from the northwest on Friday evening.  Esther came and stayed with me while Ruth stayed at the hospital with Karissa and Winston until Esther and I got there about 4 am. 

Bayard and Becky Vermilyea also arrived on Friday afternoon and were in and out Friday and Sabbath.  Bayard was in the room when Dr. Maniar reported John’s first good progress.  Bayard had come to see us on Monday after a doctor’s appointment and the two of them had a wonderful visit.  He was so encouraged with John at that time.  Becky and I came back to our room and she rubbed my feet till I fell asleep.  She also brought me Vit C and garlic and Advantage and some of her own home-made bread.  On Sabbath, a group of us sat in the den, had wonderful hot tea, while Bev Bretsch rubbed my feet, then read to me from Psalms 31.  It was so relevant that we went and read it to John!

Angela Van Shaik has coordinated food and miscellaneous items I asked for and had them delivered to us at the hospital:  lentil loaf, baked potatoes, and broccoli; home-made granola; delicious chicken pot pie and salad; wonderful vegetable soup with flatbread and humus; trail mixes and fresh Florida fruit which has been so delicious, and so much else!

Kim Cardwell brought us a wonderful meal that first Friday when there were six of us here who were hungry but tired of cafĂ© food and eating out;  pasta, salad, great bread, sweet bread.  She also delivered a Sabbath evening meal of marvelous minestrone soup, crusty bread, and Caesar salad…pie too!

Rhonda Werda arrived just as my sisters, Ruth and Esther, were ready to leave.  She is still with me.  We have prayed very specific “stronghold” prayers for John and she has been a blessing to me.  She’s done my wash, helped with food, rubbed my feet, and listened to my tears and neediness.

Dean Coridan, Robert Wagley, and Vic Van Shaik have come and prayed and been a blessing.

David and Linda White, David Springer, David Dearborn, Dale Rosette, and Robert Wagley participated in the anointing service.  It was a blessed and emotional time together.

Pastors have come to pray with us:  Rob and Dee Dee Lechner, Roy and Laura Weeden, Jesse Johnson, Pastor Ikner, along with the unit Chaplain, Luke.  The long-distance  prayers from around the world have encouraged us as well as those who have come.  

Bill and Sue Plank visited from our Salem church, as well as Ken Plank, and Jerry and Judy Johnson from Waynesville.  Flowers came from our Rolla Church, the Conference Office, and from Angie Van Shaik.  I appreciated Rita's lovely package, too.  And the home-made granola from Bev.

So many others have sent cards, posted supportive messages, called, offered their homes, and even donated money.  John and I am so very blessed and we thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment