Thursday, January 31, 2013

Still Thursday....


Rhonda thought I should explain to you about our schedule because she thinks it is balanced and healthy!  I usually wake up around 6 and work on my computer, giving updates, and reading posts for a while.  By 8 or so, I walk over to the hospital, carrying my orange backpack with all my valuables:  laptop, camera, John's wallet, my wallet, book to read, scarf to crochet, keys, pens, folders with bills and medical information.  It is way too heavy!  When I have gotten to John's room lately, he has been up in his chair or being taken for a walk.  So I sit beside him and ask him questions.  He usually says something smart-alecky, like, "You ask too many questions."  Then I get out my laptop, sit down, and write a fb and e-mail update for the morning.

John asks for help, wants to be repositioned, or asks for ice chips...and I respond as best I can.  Usually, I spend a few hours in his room, help when they walk him, get to listen to the doctor's rounds, and work on my little projects in between times.  Rhonda has been coming in about 9 and we eat our breakfast together in the waiting room.  Today we went back to John's room and read four or five Psalms which are prayers to ward off the evil that still wants to encompass us.  And we prayed for him, too.  He listened some but can't take it all in.

Then by 1 or 2 we leave and walk back to our Lodge and have lunch.  People have brought us delicious food and we have plenty to eat.  Several days this week, I have laid down and rested or napped briefly.   By 4 or so, I head back to the hospital and stay till he is ready for bed by 8 or so.  We come back to the room, get ready for the next day, and I am usually asleep by 10. Usually, I am with him for 7 or 8 hours a day.

Rhonda has commended me for taking care of myself because it obviously helps me to maintain a good attitude.  My outlook always heads south when I get worn out and frazzled.  These ups and downs and flat progress lines are very emotionally draining, I find.

Next door to us in ICU, we met Stormy whose husband has been there three plus weeks.  She has stayed in the hospital the whole time.  She had a meltdown yesterday and Rhonda and I have reached out to her because she is all alone, does not get her rest, and is emotionally drained.  I feel so fortunate to have almost always had someone with me for support, love, and care.

I'm getting good feedback on my blog...join in !

The picture above is actually Karissa holding her Dad's hand as he was awakening from his first surgery, back on January 15.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment